If you have newly become a homeowner then you must have new ideas which you want to implement with it. There’s a lot you can do with your new home and you must have plans for the interiors sorted out.
But when it comes to the outside, there’s one thing which you should take care of first and foremost- an awning. You would surely love to sit under the shade of an awning as you view your backyard. But there is a common dilemma which people place whole purchasing awnings.
This confusion is regarding retractable and fixed awnings, and which one is better. Here’s a detailed comparison between the two so that you can figure out which is best suited for your needs.
Fixed Awnings: These are mostly installed using canvas or vinyl. But solution dyed acrylic fabric isn’t used in here. One thing to note is that most of the canvas and vinyl awnings will surely rot, have mildew or fade within a couple of years of installation.
Retractable Awnings: For these solution-dyed fabrics are used and they generally come with a decade long guarantee against mildew, rotting, fading and such. Many have said that these awnings can last for 15 years and more.
Regardless of which awning it is, keeping your awning in good condition will save you a lot in repair and servicing fees.
- Fixed Awnings: Without having the ability of retraction, the room or place where it will be installed will be really dark in overcast or rainy days.
- Retractable Awnings: Since they have the retractable feature so owners can enjoy maximum light exposure inside their houses. So even during overcast or rainy days, they won’t have to stay cooped up without any form of natural light.
- Fixed Awnings: If in case you have to go through an address change them it will be much more difficult to move along a fixed awning with you.
- Retractable Awnings: Whether it is a permanent address change or a temporary one, it will be much easier to move a retractable awning than a fixed one.
Partially Open or close
- Fixed Awnings: As is known, fixed products can’t be retracted. As such, there is only one direction they can extend it, which is forward.
- Retractable Awnings: Retractable or folding lateral arm awnings are able to both partially open and close. They can also be stopped at any point when they are in the process of being retracted or extended.
- Fixed Awnings: Most of the fixed awnings are constructed out of steel piping/tubing which will surely corrode or rust in about two or three years.
- Retractable Awnings: These are framed with electro-statically powder coated non-rusting aluminium. These come with a long guarantee against rust and corrosion, but also against other defects.
Pitch and Angle
- Fixed Awnings: Pitch or angle is something which cannot be adjusted in a fixed awning. This acts as a deterrent in allowing protection from sunlight or even granting people the ability to see beyond the awning.
- Retractable Awnings: The angle and pitch can be adjusted on the lateral folding arm awnings. This will give you sun protection, especially during later afternoons. You can also adjust the angle or pitch for a better view from inside the home commercial or building.
- Fixed Awnings: Fixed means that the fabric will always be permanently extended. This means that that is the only thing which people will see whenever they pass by. It won’t be so aesthetically pleasing overall and will get boring to look at after some time.
- Retractable Awnings: Retractable or lateral arm awnings retract against the commercial building or house. This means you can flip it open when you want to. It also means that it won’t act as a constant eyesore for everyone.
Sun and Heat
- Fixed Awnings: Remember that not all types of fixed awnings can be retracted and so you can’t have the ability on cold days to close the product. This will thus not allow heat from the sun to warm up the house which can result in higher heating costs.
- Retractable Awnings: Whether it is on sunny days or on cold days, you will be able to retract the awning. This will ensure that on a hot day you can extend it all out and protect your eyes and skin from the sun, heat, and glare of the sun.
Surely you must have figured it out that having a retractable awning is much more beneficial than having a fixed one. But at the end of the day, it is your house and your choice regarding what you want to put in there. But apart from that, the purpose of getting an awning may differ from the regular uses of it so it is up to you to install what will suit the place better.